Monday, November 30, 2009

How to Deal

Have you ever been in a situation where you have something on your mind about someone but you just can’t say it to that person? A simple easy solution is to write them a letter and then get rid of it. I had heard about this technique as ways to help get rid of unresolved feelings. There are just times when maybe something was left unsaid but you don’t talk to that person, or maybe it would just cause more problems or damage to say what you want. There are times when the best option is just to stay quiet. But then you have all the unspoken thoughts and feelings running through and eating at your mind. I was sceptical when I had first heard about this. How is writing a letter that no one will ever see going to help a situation? Then I decided to try it. I had a past situation where so much was left unsaid but I no longer have contact with this person and it would not be in my best interest to contact them again. However my feelings and not having gotten closure left all the unspoken filling my mind. I chose to write a letter to this person. I have no intention of ever mailing this letter and no one will ever read what I wrote. I used it as a chance to say everything I never got a chance to and to let go of any regrets I may have had regarding my own actions in the circumstances. I was not sure how well this letter would work and thought maybe I was wasting my time. Then after I wrote the letter I found that I no longer thought about the person and situation the way I had. It was a sense relief and as if a heavy load was lifted off my mind. It sounds like a crazy idea at first but once you try it you feel relieved and are amazed at how well it works. Apparently the person who came up with this idea knew what they were talking about and I can see why they have people use it to help in situations.

No comments:

Post a Comment